We use cookies on this site to enhance your user experience. Do You agree?

Read more

Study progress and administration

To pass your year you have to complete and have linked at least 60 ECTS and pass all obligatory courses and other requirements foreseen for the specific year of studies. For details consult the requirements of your program of studies.

Because the system does not count your credits automatically, you need to link (indicate) the course you will make use of. Consult the section on linking for that.

Once you have linked your courses, ask  the office through USOS to verify and to advance you to the next year. The request to verify and advance to the next year is called to “deliver your program for check-up”.

In case you do not fulfill the requirements to pass a year, read the sections below on conditionally passing or not passing / repeating a year.

What is it?

It essentially means that you ask the WISP office to formally verify your study progress. This request is made through USOSweb.

How to do it?

In the section below on Linking there is a guide on linking that also explains how to deliver your program for check-up.

When to deliver my program for check-up?

At the end of the year: In case you have no retake exams, July 30th, In case you have retakes, the deadline is September 18th .

Why does it exist?

As you complete elective courses, OGUN’s and / or specialization courses you can choose, the administration does not know which of these you would like to use to pass a given year. After you indicate which courses you would like to use during a given year (through “linking” –see above), we can count your credits and make you advance to the next year of studies. Delivering the program for check-up essentially is your request to us to do this.

Linking is the procedure by which you indicate to make use of the credits of an elective, specialization, language or OGUN course you completed. Courses can be linked to a specific year of study, and in that way you make use of the credits of that course to pass the year you linked it to. Linking is obligatory.

Why does it exist?

Often students do more courses than is needed to pass a year and so they have surplus credits. To pass a year no more than 60 credits are needed however, and through linking you choose which credits/courses to use to complete a year.

Should I care about it?

Yes, for different reasons:

  1. Without linking courses to a year, you will lack credits to pass the year. Note that linking is part of each student’s formal obligations (Rules of study of the University of Warsaw, paragraph 28, point 3)
  2. By linking courses to a year, you have some influence on your Grade Point Average (GPA). Your GPA is calculated based on the courses that are linked, so if you have surplus credits and link the courses with the highest grades and leave the courses with the lowest grades unlinked, your GPA will be better.
  3. If you have surplus credits, you can take a lower course load during a later year, and pass that year by making use of the surplus credits you gathered earlier. For example, if you have 12 surplus credits at the end of a year, then the next year if you do only 48 credits you can still pass it by adding the 12 surplus credits from before. This is particularly useful if you go on exchange/ Erasmus or for when you are finishing your Master’s. If you do not unlink courses with extra credits within one week after the end of the exam session during which you obtained the last grade needed for completing the current year, the office will unlink from the surplus courses randomly. Courses linked only to the program could be linked to one of subsequent years.

What happens if I do not link?

Technically you can then not complete your year, which without further action would result in no longer being a student. To prevent such severe consequences, the office at random will link courses and try to get to 60 credits. Note that after this is done, no corrections can be made, and so you lose your possibility of choosing which courses to link.

What happens if I link too much?

You should have linked 60 credits to a year, not more. Sometimes it is impossible to link precisely 60, so you must link 61 or 62 credits, but you must try to get as close to 60 as possible. If you link simply too much, for instance 65 or 71, then the office will at random unlink some courses to get as close to 60 as possible.

When to link?

Before you deliver your program for check-up, see below. In practice that means:

If you have no retakes, till July 30th.

If you do have retakes, till September 18th.

How to link?

See the manual on linking.

How to do it?

See the manual on linking, page 3.

USOS is the University’s main administrative system for courses and grades. It contains information about courses, about schedules and is the place were grades are administered. The USOS system is also used for course registrations, and to keep track of tuition fee administration. All students at the University receive an account where all information will be in one place.

A year can be repeated in case the requirements for conditional pass have not been met. When a year is repeated, all courses that have to be repeated must be completed during that year. In case one of the courses that is being repeated is not passed again, then a conditional pass is not possible. This means that in case the same course is not passed twice, a student cannot continue to study at WISP. During the repeated year a student can request the Dean to attend chosen courses from a higher year. If a student attends only repeated courses during a repeated year – then only the fee for repeating courses is being charged. If a student attends also courses from the higher year – then a full tuition fee is charged.

A conditional pass is possible in all cases when no more than 20 ECTS of required courses are missed. This means that at least 40 ECTS must have been completed and linked to a stage, and that not more than 20 ECTS of obligatory courses can be missed (this even if you would have more than 40 ECTS overall as a result of having completed additional non-obligatory courses). Conditional registration for the subsequent term of study or the referral to repeat a term of study shall obligate a student to retake the failed courses or equivalent courses. In case of curricular differences in the study curriculum, including in the study plan, a student shall be obligated to make up the curricular differences.

The following types of leave are possible at the University of Warsaw:

  • a sick leave, due to chronic illness or disability;
  • a research leave, for the pursuit of other studies, studies at another university or research;
  • a special leave in other justified cases.

A sick leave can be granted for the period of sickness, treatment or rehabilitation, temporarily excluding or seriously impeding the continuation of studies. The decision to grant a sick leave shall be taken by the Dean based on the opinion of the Office for Persons with Disabilities at University of Warsaw (OPD) issued on a basis of the student’s medical documentation. The student shall file the request for a sick leave without undue delay after the circumstances providing a basis thereof occur. After the end of the study cycle, the student cannot be granted a sick leave for this study cycle, unless he/she proves that circumstances providing a basis for the request hindered filing the request earlier.

Students may be granted research or special leaves for a period not exceeding one year and in the case of first cycle students or long second cycle studies, after obtaining credit for at least the first study term. The next leave may be granted after completing another study term.

During the leave, the student shall retain student rights. When granting the leave, the Dean may grant consent to getting credits for selected courses included in the study plan during the leave. The student’s return to studies after the leave shall be subject to the rules defined by the Dean. The granting of a leave shall postpone the date of the scheduled completion of studies.

Pursuant to Art. 108 sec. 1 point 2 of the Act, the student is deleted from the list of students in the event of resignation from studies. In § 41 sec. 1 point 2 of the Study Regulations, it was specified that the Dean strikes the student off the list of students in the event of resignation from studies submitted by the student in writing. The resignation from studies should therefore be submitted in writing and bear the student’s handwritten signature. It will not be sufficient to submit a resignation by e-mail or via the USOS system. Alternatively, resignation from studies can also be submitted via the ePUAP system. After submitting the formal resignation from studies, the head of the teaching unit is obliged to remove the student from the list of students.

A person struck off the list of students may apply for the resumption of studies. Studies could be resumed on the same field of study the student was struck off. The decision on the resumption of studies shall be taken by the Dean, on the written request of the interested person. In the case of students who were struck off the list of students due to a failure to complete a stage of studies or a didactic cycle, the resumption may take place not earlier than beginning of the next academic year following the date of striking the person off the list. Resumption shall begin with the stage of study following the stage that the applicant had obtained credit for, prior to being struck off. After resumption a student is obliged to make program differences determined by the Dean. Resumption is possible from the second year of studies.

In case of students who were struck off of the list of students due to not paying the required payments, the decision on the rules of resumption is made individually by the Dean.

5th year students who were removed due to failure to submit their thesis within the prescribed period, may be resumed with completed thesis within two years from the date of removal at any time of the academic year. If the removal took place earlier than two years, a student may be resumed to repeat the 5th year and is obliged to complete the program differences indicated by the Dean.

Application for resumption form

  • I have lost my student id card and I need a new one. What is the procedure and how long will it take?  You need to submit in usosweb a relevant request and attach to it a proof of payment for a duplicate. Usually it takes a week to get a new card.
  • I have completed a course at another university and would like to include it into my current program. How to fix it?  You need to submit in usosweb a request and attach a document (in Polish or in English) confirming passing that course. In the request you need to specify all the details regarding the course (the name, place, date, no. of ECTS, proposed grade and a category in which the course is to be acknowledged. Only courses passed with a grade can be accepted.
  • I will be on Erasmus/bilateral exchange next academic year/semester and I will not be able to complete the required obligatory course/s. What should I do?  You need to discuss it with a Faculty exchange coordinator and depending on the situation to submit a request for postponing given course/s to the next academic year. All arrangements must be completed before leaving.
  • I would like to contact the Vice-Dean for student’s affairs. What is a proper e-mail address? Can I meet the Vice-Dean to talk about my problem? If you wish to request the Vice-Dean for any student matter, you need to submit in usosweb a relevant application. In case your issue is very complicated it is possible to meet the Vice-Dean in person. To arrange such a meeting, just contact the WISP office.
  • I completed a given course, but I am not sure how many ECTS it has. Where can I check it? The best place to check a number of ECTS is Student’s section – a POL-on at your usosweb account. You need to be aware that the same course can have different numbers of credits depending on the year it was completed.
  • I need a signed copy of my transcript of records. Should I send you a form to sign issued from my usosweb account? No, the transcript needs to be issued by the office. Do not forget to specify in which language it is to be prepared – in Polish or in English. Please note that only courses that are linked to a stage and have its grade will be visible on the transcript.
  • I plan to work this summer as a psychologists assistant, under supervision of a clinical psychologist. I have heard that this makes me eligible to receive  some ECTS. I am wondering what the steps are for me to arrange this? The practice can be accepted as an official student traineeship. In order to obtain the detailed information regarding traineeship, you need to contact Mr. Rafał Dziurla, the Faculty Coordinator for Traineeship rafal.dziurla@psych.uw.edu.pl
  • is it possible to unlink courses from the previous stage and link them to the current year?  No, the courses that are already linked to a previous stage can not be unlinked from that stage and link to another stage.